The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute tackling global public health challenges through research, policy translation and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio of communicable and non-communicable diseases, including environmental and climatic determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach from the molecular level to the population level. Research is organized in the following main areas, malaria and other infectious diseases, maternal, child and reproductive health, urban health and environmental health, climate and non-communicable diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa Distinction, a seal of excellence from the Spanish Ministry of Science.
What we are looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a motivated postdoctoral researcher to join Dr. Paula Petrone’s Biomedical Data Science Research Group, created under the Severo Ochoa program, with the vision of leveraging data analytics and artificial intelligence to improve health care outcomes. This is a unique opportunity for a motivated data scientist to contribute to conducting research with social impact and addressing unmet medical needs.
The postdoctoral researcher will develop data analysis studies applied to patient data in the context of COVID within the framework of the European ENDVOC project. The objective of the project is to characterize the new Variants of SARS-CoV-2identify the population at risk for the evolution of these new variants and assess the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against them.
Interest is expressed for candidates with demonstrated experience in the biomedical field, and in particular, previous work in immunology, epidemiology and molecular biology is highly desirable.
As a member of the Biomedical Data Science team, the selected candidate will have the opportunity to work in a highly multidisciplinary environment, working closely with computational, experimental and clinical collaborators in a creative, challenging and entrepreneurial environment. ISGlobal offers training workshops where the postdoctoral fellow can develop technical and interpersonal skills important for a successful career. The Biomedical Data Science team promotes team diversity and encourages the application of applicants from different backgrounds and genders.
This position will be funded by the European Union’s Horizon Europe research and innovation program under grant agreement No 101046314, ENDVOC
- Medical sciences
Education and experience / Qualifications
- Have a completed or nearly completed PhD with strong analytical expertise in one of the following fields: biomedical sciences, computer science, bioinformatics, mathematics, biostatistics or related fields. Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers in other related disciplines decide to apply
- Experience developing algorithms or building data solutions, as well as integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
- Strong programming experience in one or more general purpose programming languages: Python, R, Scala
- Hands-on experience with machine learning and visualization techniques is desirable
- Have first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Be willing to work in an interdisciplinary team within a highly collaborative research institute
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Be willing to apply for individual fellowships to become an independent researcher and define new lines of research
- Data processing and integration for new and multicentric datasets
- Develop data science analyzes in collaboration with experimental partners
- Conduct high quality research independently and within project teams.
- Publish research results in scientific journals and in national and international conferences.
This job description reflects the current job requirements, but may evolve at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop, provided there is appropriate consultation with the incumbent. post.
This job description is not a definitive or exhaustive list of responsibilities, but identifies the main responsibilities and duties of the job holder. The specific objectives of the post holder will be reviewed as part of the individual professional evaluation process.
- Team work.
- Problem resolution.
- Learning ability.
The incumbent will uphold the ISGlobal principles contained in the People Management Policy, including equity, diversity and health security. The incumbent will adhere to and be responsible for ensuring ISGlobal policies and procedures.
- Duration: 2 years
- Start date: Immediately
- Contract: Full Time
- Salary scale: Postdoc A, the salary will be in line with the ISGlobal salary scale and the experience of the candidate
During the crisis caused by COVID19, standard working conditions will be adapted to health requirements.
The selection process is designed in two phases: 1- Technical interview phase, with the team requesting incorporation. To assess the person’s skills and CV. 2 – HR meeting with the finalist(s) to complete the profile assessment and discuss contractual and institutional issues.
If necessary, any technical test could be passed. A psychological skills assessment test will be required for structural or cross-functional positions.
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a joint recruitment panel is formed for each vacant position at the start of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the jury will begin the interviews, with at least one technical interview and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
How to register
Applicants must complete the application form and include the following code reference position: Postdoc_ANALYTICS_ENDVOC_May22, attach the CV and a cover letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate’s first and last name.
The reception of applications will be open until a candidate is selected.
Only applications submitted via the application form will be considered.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions regarding this position.
Diverse applications are welcome, including but not limited to: gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, physical ability, and political views.