Peng Shuai’s video denial of sexual assault complaint fails to allay tennis chiefs’ fears

New video of Peng Shuai denying sexual assault complaint against former Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli fails to allay WTA fears after tennis chiefs were unable to contact her to verify her property -to be

  • Peng Shuai Disappeared From Public Sight After Filing Sexual Assault Complaint
  • As a result, the WTA Tour suspended all tournaments in China two weeks ago.
  • Peng resurfaced again on Tuesday in a clip posted by Singapore media outlets.
  • In the video, she retracted an allegation against former Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli
  • WTA Tour representatives still could not reach her directly











The women’s tennis tour still cannot verify the welfare of former Wimbledon doubles champion Peng Shuai, despite appearing in another video.

The Chinese player, 35, resurfaced on Tuesday in a clip released by Singaporean media Lianhe Zaobao, filmed while attending a skiing event near Shanghai.

In the video, Peng continuously stares at the camera and denies making any sexual assault allegations against former Chinese vice premier Zhang Gaoli.

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai denies making sexual assault charge in new video

“I have to stress an extremely important point, I never said or wrote that someone sexually assaulted me,” she said, insisting that the social media post that triggered the episode had been misunderstood.

However, representatives of the WTA Tour – which suspended all tournaments in China a fortnight ago as a result – still could not reach her directly.

A WTA spokesperson said: “As we have always stated, these appearances do not alleviate or address the WTA’s significant concerns about their well-being and their ability to communicate without censorship or coercion.

“We remain firm in our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that raised our initial concern.”

The tennis star is pictured on Sunday around the same time she gave her first interview

The tennis star is pictured on Sunday around the same time she gave her first interview

Meanwhile, Andy Murray and Dan Evans are hopeful their plans for the Australian Open will not be disrupted after Rafael Nadal yesterday revealed he has contracted Covid-19. The 20-time Grand Slam champion said he tested positive on his return to Spain after playing in the Mubadala Tennis World Championship, an exhibition event held in Abu Dhabi on Friday and Saturday.

Nadal was beaten by Murray on Friday and is said to have shared a dressing room with the two British players, who were participating in the same event.

The Spaniard, who has been a strong advocate for immunization, said: “I am going through some unpleasant times but I hope I will improve little by little. I am now confined at home. As a result of the situation, I must have total flexibility with my schedule and I will analyze my options. ‘

Nadal had already questioned whether he would play in Australia as he had just returned from a long foot injury.

Peng disappeared from public view after a Chinese social media post on November 2

Peng disappeared from public view after a Chinese social media post on November 2

With players due to fly down days after Christmas, the British contingent is already taking precautions. Roehampton’s National Tennis Center has passed a rule that says the only people allowed to practice there before lunchtime are those planning to play in Melbourne next month.

Earlier this year, Murray was furious that his plans to play in the first Grand Slam of the season were dashed by him by catching Covid, which he said must have been due to his visits to the NTC.

Emma Raducanu posed outside her hotel room yesterday with the Sports Personality of the Year trophy as her post-Covid isolation comes to an end. She is expected to resume training in the Middle East before flying to Australia, where her first tournament is scheduled to start on January 3.

She claimed Gaoli sexually assaulted her in his home as his wife stood outside the door

She claimed Gaoli sexually assaulted her in his home as his wife stood outside the door


Source link

About Geraldine Higgins

Check Also

27 under police investigation for various offenses after nightlife restrictions eased

SINGAPORE: A total of 27 people are under police investigation for various offenses after Singapore …