The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a dynamic and cosmopolitan university, rooted in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on achieving Global Excellence and Stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainability, and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision to “position UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) within the context of Africa’s social, political and economic evolution”.
The Board of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a compulsory vaccination site in accordance with the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All job applications and offers are subject to compliance with this policy.
The Department of Architecture is an academic unit of the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture (FADA) that offers comprehensive programs in architecture. Its program offerings have a dual purpose of enabling students to gain professional qualifications in architecture as well as access postgraduate learning opportunities. A transformative teaching philosophy informs the teaching practice and research program of the department in response to its location within the University of Johannesburg (UJ) in the city of Johannesburg. The department aims to enrich its academic profile in order to contribute to the development of UJ as a pan-African epicenter of critical intellectual inquiry.
In line with DHET’s Flagship University Recruitment Program (nGAP), the Department of Architecture (DOA) at the University of Johannesburg is seeking to recruit a Lecturer. We are looking for an exceptionally motivated, qualified and ambitious Nominated South African Architect to develop and expand the school’s current teaching and research interests/specifications.
- Teach and assess architectural design at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Actively contribute to research in his or her area(s) of specialization;
- Publish research including the work of its student(s) in the Unit. using appropriate channels (peer-reviewed publications and conference proceedings} as well as exhibitions, new forms of media and speaking engagements.
- Participate in the administration and management of the DOA and the faculty at large.
- Participate in official DOA and Faculty meetings.
- Have an active presence as a public intellectual
- Supervise postgraduate students in appropriate program offerings.
- Develop key national and international links and collaboration opportunities.
- Actively contribute to the development and growth of DOA, including its newest initiative, Transformative Pedagogies.
- A master’s degree in a relevant discipline (architecture, landscape architecture or urban design) is required. The candidate must have registered for a doctorate, or commit to register soon. OR the successful candidate will be required to register for a Ph.D. shortly after commencing duty.
- In-depth and current knowledge of contemporary architectural design, history and theory.
- Experience as a researcher.
- A record of collegiality, collaboration and initiative
- At least two years of teaching experience at tertiary level.
- An understanding of the principles of design research.
Skills and behavioral attributes:
- Excellent communication skills in academic English
- Proven planning and administrative skills.
- Ability to monitor and coach student performance and provide critical feedback in an objective and professional manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with people from more diverse backgrounds.
- Proven pedagogical aptitude and competence in postgraduate supervision
- A solid understanding of contemporary and emerging forms of research in the broad field of
- Disciplines of the built environment.
- Familiarity with elective/unit system teaching methodologies.
Job content inquiries: Dr. Finzi Saidi at (011) 559-1115
Compensation and Benefits Inquiries: Ms. Pauline Senne at (011) 559-4694 (HCM business partner)
Your application, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and full names and contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees, must be uploaded on or before the closing date of the advertised position. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic degree, proof of registration with professional bodies you may belong to, and, if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research results and/or or a portfolio of your creative output.
Applications (UJ e-Recruitment Portal)
If you need technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment site, please contact our service provider PNET at the following coordinates: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email [email protected]
Applicants may be subject to appropriate psychometric tests and other selection instruments.
In addition to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievement, the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to people with disabilities and people from historically disadvantaged groups. Depending on operational needs, the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to advertised positions. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.